Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mothers

First I must apologize for the length of this post. I have been thinking about motherhood and mothers all week, and there is a lot I want to say, hopefully I can put my jumble of thoughts into a semi decent post.

There is nothing like being a mom. It is a full time job, 24/7 for the rest of your life. There are definitely days when I want to pull my hair out, scream, or just bang my head into the wall. Thankfully most days I find that there is nothing in the world I love more than being a mom.

I have always loved my mom, but it wasn't until I became a mom myself that I learned to truly appreciate her. I find that everyday I work at being a mom I have experiences that make me love and admire my mom even more.

I have to confess that I have days where my dishes pile up, my laundry bins overflow, and I stay in my pajamas with my hair a mess. There are also days when I don't make dinner. Growing up my mom ALWAYS made dinner, dishes were NEVER left undone and laundry was washed, folded and put away immediately. I can't remember my mom ever spending a day in her pajamas, she was always dressed with her hair and make up done. I love, and admire her for all of that.

You know the saying "what goes around comes around", well it is true. I hated being sent to my room as a child. I used to slide my bed in front of the door (so my mom couldn't get in) and then I would kick the wall over and over again just to annoy her. Now, at two years old, Cort likes to lay on his bed and kick the wall. I hope that I can live through Cort's stubborn attitude as patiently and as lovingly as my mom lived through mine.


My mom also taught me the gospel and the importance of a temple marriage...things I hope my kids will learn from me. I love my mom and want to thank her for all she's done and still does for me.

I am also amazed at my sister in laws and their mothering skills. Shayna is not only a mother of three, but she is great at giving my boys tons of attention too! She is an amazing cook and sews all kinds of neat stuff that she sells on etsy. Megan raises two kids and still finds time to make all kinds of adorable crafts...she even cuts the wood herself. She is also a really good cook and even made Ashley's wedding cake. Cindy keeps eight kids under control and still finds time to blog, craft, scrapbook and perfect her photography skills. Amy, mother of four, watched Cort for me every Monday for 6 months. She also keeps up with all the latest books, and has taught her kids the love of reading. Katie has four girls, who are always dressed with their hair done so cute. She also crafts, blogs, and cooks amazingly. Kellie found time with two boys to start running 5ks, and keep up her work in politics.

Bret also has a super mom, after all she put up with Bret for 21 years! She helps keep us in line, and "be prepared". She is a wonderful grandmother to my boys, and her 18 other grandchildren.

I love and admire all of the amazing moms in my family, and hope to learn how to mother as well as all of them do!

2 comments:

Janet Swenson said...

Thanks for all the kind words. For me the best job in the world was being a mom!!! I truly loved every minute of it and seeing my kids grow up was hard, the big pay off is the temple marriages and then seeing them become mothers or fathers. What a joy to know that being a mother never ends and no matter how old you get you will always be my babies. Family truly makes life full of joy and I thank you for being the most amazing gifts anyone could get. Enjoy this time it goes so fast.

Joe and Karen said...

Love this!!! You are very inspiring and I look up to you. You are an amazing person and Mother and I just love you. Thanks for being there for me to talk to and gain advise. I couldn't ask for a nicer friend. Love you