Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cort's Ordeal

The past couple of weeks Cort has had a runny nose. At first I didn't think much of it, kids are always catching colds. Then on Monday I noticed that his snot smelled really bad. I told Bret, and he told me I was weird and asked why I was smelling our sons snot.
I thought that maybe I was imagining things, but decided to google "smelly snot". The two explanations I came up with were that Cort either had a sinus infection, or something up his nose. I was leaning toward the later since his nose was particularly gooey on the right side. When questioned Cort denied ever sticking anything up his nose, and said "no, mom,that is silly."
Tuesday was Bret's day off and he thought Corts nose was runny on both sides and that there was no smell. By Thursday evening however it was clear that his nose did smell and really, really bad. Bret said it smelled like "a dead fish". I took him to the dr. Friday morning and found out that there was indeed something up his nose. The pediatrician, two nurses and I pinned him down while the dr. tried for at least 20 minutes to remove the object. Cort kicked and wiggled and screamed bloody murder while the dr. alternately stuck long tools up his nose and flushed it with water. At one point Cort started telling them to " shoo, shoo!" They thought he was saying "shoe" and asked if he had a shoe in his nose.

Finally they sent us to the E.N.T. Dr. We waited awhile but he was able to extract the object and suction his nose out in less than five minutes. Turns out it was
a little piece of black foam.....where in the world it came from or when he put it in his nose I have no clue.

The nurse said I must be a good mom to have picked up on the fact that there was something wrong and brought him in, but I'm sure she was really thinking "don't you watch your child?" I admit I was really embarrassed, but I am relieved that it is out, and
after being pinned down and having things shoved up his nose I am sure Cort will never put anything in his nose again.

Somehow Cash was able to sleep through the whole thing, which was good, because I had my hands full with Cort.
The Culprit
Post ordeal= bloody nose the rest of the day

2 comments:

Jess said...

I'm impressed you figured it out. That is pretty funny.

Hilary said...

Silly boy! I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but good job catching it! We had to make a rule "no putting things in your head holes" after Jayden shoved a bead in his ear. I don't know why that is such a temptation for kids!