Wednesday, June 18, 2014

But You Don't Have to Take My Word for It

Can't you just picture Lavar Burton saying "I'll see you next time"? I may be somewhat of a nerd but I really did love Reading Rainbow.  I honestly think it is, at least partly, responsible for my deep love of reading.

I must admit there are times I miss my childhood and how much free time I had to read. I remember devouring books as soon as I learned to read.  My first loves were Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" books.  I quickly moved onto the  "Boxcar Children" and anything by Beverly Cleary.  By jr. high I had developed a love of the classics: Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Les Miserables, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

I remember spending hours curled up on the couch with a book while my older brothers teased me for "wasting" time doing something so boring. Psh, reading is anything but boring! Reading builds your vocabulary and takes you to magical worlds, it relaxes and refreshes and builds the imagination.

Since having children however I have found it is a lot harder for me to find the time to read.  You see I have this problem where once I begin a book I have to finish it.  Having to set it down until I have more time later is very hard for me. Seriously. I think it would be easier for me to cut my own arm off.  Realistically though, once you have kids you just don't have time to read an entire book in a day unless it is super short or you are an incredibly fast reader.

Once Cort learned to crawl and didn't spend his days sleeping I quit reading.  Last year however I decided that I would start reading again.  I don't read anything too long or too deep though I hope to  work up to that again, but for now I have a slightly embarrassing love of young adult fantasy novels. *(it should be noted however that I am NOT a fan of the Twilight series)*

They all seem to be quick, easy reads and they've become my guilty pleasure.  I think one of the hardest things for me when it comes to reading is finding a good book. I don't want to waste my time reading something boring, slow moving, or that ends badly.  I love getting recommendations for books instead of blindly trying to pick a book from the library.  

I thought that perhaps some of you might enjoy getting a recommendation as well, so without further ado here are some books that are in my opinion, worth reading:

*Poison by Bridget Zinn. 
   This was a really quick, fun read. I loved it and I was dissappointed to learn the author has passed away and this is her only novel.  

*Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson 
     In my opinion this book starts off a little slow and a little weird, but by the time I finished it I couldn't wait to read the rest of the series. The rest of the series was just as good, if not better. I loved the journey and transformation the main character goes on both physically and mentally.  The second book in the trilogy is The Crown of Embers, and the final book is The Bitter Kingdom.

*Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
    Another trilogy I found easy to read and fun. To be honest they were a little corny and predictable but I still enjoyed them. Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green are the other titles in the series.

Those are all of my recommendations today.  If any of you read them I would love to know your thoughts.  Also feel free to pass along any recommendations you have.  Happy reading!

3 comments:

Jordan and Katelyn said...

Gah! I am so with you on the young adult novel thing...on every count! It gives me my reading fix without having to think too hard, haha. I am also reading the ruby red series, but have yet to check out the last one. Have you read the matched series by Ally Condie? I've heard great things, and have read the first one and really like it. I'll have to try out your other recommendations too! Oh, and a lovey-dovey favorite of mine is called "The Magic of Ordinary Days" by Ann Howard Creel. It was made into a Halmark movie a few years ago starring Keri Russel, so you know it's good. ;)

Aubrey Smith said...

I have read the matched series. It was pretty good, I would recommend them. The first book was my favorite, and to be honest I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. I will definitely have to read The magic of Ordinary days. I love Kerri Russel and hallmark movies!

Jess said...

So our library here has one shelf for their YA fiction and I swear I've read half of them. At first I was depressed and then I decided my new goal is to just read every book on that shelf and then the librarian will get to know me and let me pick the new YA books they order. Wishful thinking but it could happen. As for my recommendation read Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson, it's not YA but a regency period novel. She's an LDS author but not a cheesy one!